Saturday, January 2, 2010

Self Assessment to Help in Quitting

In this series of blogs where I have been encouraging Self Awareness Activities in preparation for quitting I have another activity which is developed to help people think of the rituals and routines associated with tobacco and encourage thinking of replacement of those rituals with other routines. Try including in your Quit Diary your responses to this next series of questions.

When you smoke or chew, you establish a routine or habit. You may miss the many rituals involved with using tobacco products.
The Smoking/chewing rituals I like most were:
1.
2.
3.

Activities I will substitute for these rituals include:
1.
2.

Describe three situations in which you used tobacco products even when you didn't feel like it. (ex. First thing in the morning)
1.
2.
3.

Over time, you have reinforced thousands of behaviors with the mouth.
Activities I will substitute for oral reinforcement include (possible choices: chewing gum, toothpicks, straws, low-calorie foods, sugar-free candy, worry stones, herbal tea)
1.
2.
3.

Nicotine is a drug that causes physical dependency and, therefore, uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms occur when you stop using it.
What I fear most about experiencing withdrawal symptoms is:
1.
2.

Activities I will use to help myself cope with withdrawal include (possible choices: nicotine replacement products, therapeutic massage, acupuncture, medication, exercise)
1.
2.

When the cravings are especially intense, I will (possible choices: use a nicotine nasal spray, all a friend exercise):
1.
2.

No comments: